SAINT JOHN

AYASULUK HILL

Ayasülük was the name for Ephesus before 1914 and during all the Turkish States history and it is called Selçuk in today’s Turkey Republic. This area is the one of the richest settlements of the history of Turkey.It is thought that the name of Ayasuluk is derived from the greek names  Ayios Theologos  (theologian saint) and then Ayios Skologos .

Also the grave of the one of the most important persons of Christian world Saint John takes place here.

Ayasuluk hill is known as the last place of the Ephesus settlements. The excavations here after 1990 changed whole history of the Ephesus. It has been assumed that Ephesus was settled by Greek colonialists around 1500 BC. Then it has been understood that Ephesus was more ancient than it has been assumed. Ephesus has existed in 7000 BC in the Neolithic Age. Then it has been understood that Ayasuluk hill has become the one of the important settlements of the Ephesus after 2000 BC.

 

SAINT JOHN’S LIFE AND HIS CHAPEL

According to the Christian belief in 2nd century AD Saint John the Bible author was also the youngest disciple of Jesus and the author of Apocalypse. According to the Ephesus consul’s documents we can say that Saint John came to Ephesus between 37 and 48 AD with Virgin Mary and lived until death here. Jesus Christ has trusted St. John about his mother. St. John and Mary have abandoned Jerusalem and came to Ephesus which is a safe place. John protected Mary here and provided her shelter and food in the slopes of Bülbüldağ.
It seems definite that St. John was in Ephesus after 67 AD. But Saint Paul came to Ephesus between 55 and 58 and found new members to the community created by St. John. After 67, he and St. Paul have started to preach Bible. John was wanted to be executed twice by Emperor Dominitianus and he survived with miracles.

After that John was exiled to Patmos Island and he returned to Ephesus in 95. Saint John who spent his last years in Ephesus wrote his Bible and letters here and died when he was 100 years old. Then he has been buried onto the Ayasülük hill as he demanded in his legacy.

 

İSABEY MOSQUE

The mosque has been made built by the son of Aydinid Isa Bey ( Sir Isa the ruler) to a Damascusian architect called Ali Ibn-al Dimishki in 1375. It was the first example of the mosques with 2 minarets, cloisters and courtyards with fountains in the Anatolia. It has many similarities with the Great Damascus Mosque, Great Harran Mosque and Great Diyarbakir Mosque when we consider its architecture and internal and external decorations. Especially the windows on the western front and rich decorations on the main gate, colourful kama stones and strings with prayers and hadiths on marbles are spectacular. The turquoise ceramic tiles inside the building are also beautiful. After the earthquakes in the years 1653 and 1688, one of the minarets, the other's upper parts and all the cloisters of the courtyard have been destroyed. The big scripture which were on the niche is being conserved in the Agora. The roof was repaired in 1975 and the niches are repaired in 1990. The restorations have been continued until 2005. It is now available for the visits and the prayers. Isa Bey Mosque is placed between St. John Church and the Artemis Temple, to the south of the hill. It is meaningful that there are 3 buildings which represent 3 different religions.

 

 

 

 

Saint John Church

Saint John Church in our design

 

 

 

 

İsabey Mosque

Ayasuluk Castle in our design

 

Our Saint John design